Table of contents
Practical experience abroad
In the 6th semester you will complete an internship abroad lasting at least 95 working days /approx. 19 weeks. Students whose mother tongue is not German may complete their internship in Germany (cp. §11 para. 3 of the Study Regulations)
Financing your internship
If you have questions regarding how to finance your internship abroad the international Office at HTW Berlin is available to advise you.
From WS 17/18 on, the supervison of the internship will be centralised. The Internship Coordinator/Advisor, Prof. Dr. Irina Penner, will be supervising all Internships.
Parallel to your internship, you will also participate in a virtual course (Internship Assesment and Evaluation - mandatory course) during the practical period. Detailed information regarding the course can be obtained in the Module description. Do not forget to register via LSF for the course!
Internship Application Process
At least three weeks before starting your internship, you will need to submit the following documents to the programme coordinator, Nicole Biehl:
Internship application [PDF] original document (the original will be returned to you so you can let the company sign it after you are done with your internship)
- Internship contract [PDF] original document – the original will be returned to you
- Written certificate from the company (One Pager with stamp and signature) stating the duration of the internship, the weekly hours of work and task description (if you are using the HTW Contract).
- current Transcript of Records (available on LSF) proving 115 ECTS from Semester 1-4!.
Reimbursement of semester ticket
Please be aware that you must re-register for the internship semester abroad and pay the semester fee. Once you have your signed internship application, you can apply for the reimbursement of the semester ticket fee at the semester ticket office.
Holiday and absence
During your internship you are not entitled to holiday time. If your company agrees differently with you and/or if you are absent due to illness – for longer than 3 days, you must make up the hours/days accordingly. Please inform your programme coordinator/ BIB course administration immediately.
You are required to organise workplace accident insurance abroad yourself. For the duration of the internship your personal liability insurance will be covered by the company.
Accreditation of the internship
For your internship to be accredited, please present the following documents to the programme coordinator, Nicole Biehl, not later than 6 weeks after the completion of your internship:
- Original Internship application with both pages (with the Signature of HTW) signed and stamped by the company after the completion of the internship
- Internship testimonial (Internship Certificate, Letter of Recommendation) from the Company
- Cover page of your Internship Report signed by all relevant parties (checklist Internship)